Muscle & Joint Clinic is run by Dr. Derik Anderson, Clinic Director and Chiropractor, who has more than 20 years of experience in integrative chiropractic care. He and the other team members regularly attend conferences to stay up-to-date on the latest research and treatments.
MEET THE TEAM
Clinic Director: Dr. Derik Anderson, DC, CSN, CPT
Dr. Anderson helps his patients be healthier by utilizing his education and personal and professional backgrounds. Dr. Anderson grew up wanting to help people and initially planned to go to business school to work in energy conservation. But, after a good friend’s life was positively changed by chiropractic care, he had a change of heart. His friend spent two years with horrific intestinal problems and saw over a dozen providers, but no one could help her – until she saw a chiropractor. The chiropractor knew that the vertebra and muscles around them affected the nerves that controlled the intestines. After treatment, she was no longer bed-ridden and went back to teaching, traveling and leading an active life. Dr. Anderson realized that health care was his calling and his passion for helping people was channeled into chiropractic.
Dr. Anderson lives what he practices. He is an avid runner, nationally competitive sailor, surfs, and is a youth coach. Dr. Anderson also eats a diet high in vegetables, low in starch, and drinks several quarts of water each day. Why? Food is our bodies’ fuel and muscles consume 70% of that fuel (the brain consumes another 20%), so to reach our maximum potential, our food chain needs to be clean, appropriate, and healthy for our needs.
Education & Academic Affiliations
- Life Chiropractic College West, Doctor of Chiropractic
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Bachelor of Arts, Economics
- Completed more than 1,000 hours of post-doctoral education
- Sports Nutritionist, Certified
- Personal Fitness Trainer, Certified
- Active Release Technique, Certified 2011
- FAKTR, Certified
- Myofascial Decompression, Certified
- Ironman® Healthcare Provider
Affiliations & Appointments
- Fascia Research Society, founding member
- Continuing Education Provider, California Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- Dominican University of California, former faculty
- California Qualified Medical Examiner, 2001-2004
Projects and Presentations
- Stem cell research on epithelial and cartilage cells, in conjunction with Warren Hoeffler, PhD
- Medical advisor on Sweet Suicide, a documentary film on the effects of sugar, produced by Nancy Appleton, PhD
- Presenter at conferences and seminars throughout the United States, on television, and radio
Clinic Coordinator: Jessica Ippoliti, LMT
Jessica brings extensive experience helping patients to Muscle & Joint Clinic as Clinic Coordinator. Jessica began her career in healthcare at Space Coast Health Institute in Melbourne, Florida where she graduated from massage school in 2001 and completed a sports internship with the Florida Marlins in 2002. Since then, Jessica has received her license and multiple certifications in massage therapy and, more recently, certification as a paralegal.
After working many years as a sports massage therapist, helping athletes and those who want to stay strong, Jessica joined Muscle & Joint Clinic to manage our front office. Always striving to go above and beyond expectations, Jessica’s years of experience in healthcare coupled with her administrative experience as paralegal allows her to provide excellent customer care and the best information to our patients about their treatment.
Jessica was raised in Marin. She enjoys most anything outdoors and has a passion for travelling and experiencing new things. In her younger years, Jessica was a gymnast and played softball. Now, she sticks to trail runs and dancing.
Massage Therapist: Carrie Maszk, CMT, NMT, Health Educator
Carrie brings a diverse background, having worked with gyms, spas, and tech companies, as well as at cycling and running events. She is passionate about rehabilitation, and with her deep understanding of the body’s complexities, Carrie helps our patients return to active and pain-free lifestyles through the use of neuromuscular soft-tissue manipulation.
Born and raised in Marin, Carrie spent her early years playing soccer, basketball, softball, and riding horses. While in college, she played on Oberlin’s rugby team. In her spare time, Carrie enjoys weightlifting, hiking, and playing with her corgi.
Education & Certifications
- Neuromuscular Therapist & Health Educator, 1350 hours, National Holistic Institute
- Massage Therapist Certification, State of California
- Burn Scar Massage Therapist, Level 1
- Oberlin College, Bachelor of Arts, Economics
Practice Administrator: Dawn Anderson
Dawn has extensive experience managing business operations for a variety of organizations. As an undergrad in Boston, she worked in both London and Madrid and completed her post-graduate work at UC Berkeley. Drawing on creativity, a strong sense of what is possible and focus on what is needed, Dawn has developed strong infrastructures and achieved unprecedented organizational growth.
Dawn has competed in triathlons and national championships in sailing. Dawn’s volunteer work includes the Marin Mammal Center, Environmental Travelling Companions, and significant time working in the school community. She enjoys yoga, hiking and creating delicious healthy meals for family and friends.
For more information about Muscle & Joint Clinic, call our office at 415-488-5372.