What is the Kinesio Taping Method?
Kinesio taping is a therapeutic taping technique. The method is designed to promote the body’s natural healing process. Kinesio tape provides support and stability to muscles and joints. The tape can be applied in numerous ways. Using specific shapes, patterns, direction, and amount of stretch, each custom taping method is designed to:
- Reeducate the neuromuscular system
- Reduce pain and inflammation
- Optimize performance
- Prevent injury
- Improve circulation
- Promote healing
Kinesiology tape is nearly identical to human skin, both in thickness and elasticity. As a result, kinesio tape will not constrict a healthy range of motion. Furthermore, this design allows for continued proprioceptive input to the body and brain. All while Kinesio tapes wave-pattern adhesive, gently lifts the skin allowing increased flow of blood and lymphatic fluid.
Some of the benefits of Kinesio Taping
- Provides support to joints and muscles
- Corrects improper muscle function
- Relieves pain from both acute injuries and chronic pain
- Reduces swelling and inflammation
- Speeds up healing with improved blood flow
- Prevents overuse and over-contraction of working muscles
- Re-establishes normal muscle activation following an injury
What conditions can Kinesio Taping help treat?
Due to it’s many benefits, the Kinesio Taping Technique is used in treating injuries and chronic pain from head to toe, including:
- Overuse injuries
- Sports Injuries
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Plantar fasciitis
- Knee pain
- Shoulder pain
- Shin Splints
- Tennis/Golfer’s Elbow
Kinesio taping is an effective enhancement to your treatment at Muscle & Joint Clinic. While often applied during the acute & chronic phases of an injury, the method is also utilized as a preventative measure by increasing blood flow to the taped area.